View Poll Results: Would you like to be able to hide rooms your in from others?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

37 72.55%
  • No!

10 19.61%
  • I don't care, leave me alone.

4 7.84%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hide channels from others?

Honestly, I don't see the point in it.

The whole case for 'restoring' privacy is just silly. Channels are, and have always been, inherently public unless they've been set +s. If you don't want to be seen in a channel, then don't join it?

If you're attracting a lot of stalkers, then chances are it has to do with your behavior -- e.g. something you're doing.

+1 for SecretAgent

Channel privacy is presently well regulated through proper use of available CMODEs. UMODE +p does not guarantee privacy with services such as Rizon Stats (which, along with CMODE +s, is at the discretion of channel operators) and other privately regulated services which track and publish public statistics and conversation.

Then again, I'm not really concerned with the outcome; it does not affect me either way. I am for whichever saves bandwidth, CPU cycles, and effort. :>

If you're really going to implement this, please make it detectable. I.e. instead of showing no channels at all (or rather, common channels only), print a notice indicating that some channels have been omitted from the list. (Only for normal users of course.)
    As a channel operator, you should have the right to kickban people based on channels they are in, and when recruiting new staff members, it's much easier to tell if an applicant will fit in if you can view the channels he or she is in.

Regards,
    snip

Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post
    As a channel operator, you should have the right to kickban people based on channels they are in, and when recruiting new staff members, it's much easier to tell if an applicant will fit in if you can view the channels he or she is in.
    Unlocking +p will make this even less doable. Currently you dont see +s chans already. With +p you wont see any that you are not in yourself.

We have decided that this mode will be added. It will take a while to be implemented as we plan to have it ircd based rather than services based. Which means it requires all Rizon servers to be restarted before it can be done. Which we won't do at once it will take a month or so. But look for this new option in the near future.
    Rizon CEO
    Jason
    Jason@Rizon.net

The usermode +p has now been implemented but only works on Rizon servers running version 523. At the time of this posts that would only be 2 servers:

irc.dronebl.org
    irc.zipd.de

If you wish make use of this mode you can use that server. Over time the others will be restarted but it will be done during convenient times. Such as if the server has few users or goes down for any reason. We always try to make use of network outages to do upgrades, which often means the better servers get upgraded far less. One of our servers is running version 513 which means the server itself has been running just shy of 1 year.

Server Up 364 days, 8:31:45

Keeping in mind thats just the ircd program itself not the last time it has been rebooted (which is even longer).

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jason; 06-30-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Rizon CEO
    Jason
    Jason@Rizon.net