Thread: Damn those Cotton Farmers

Default Damn those Cotton Farmers

One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today is because cotton growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers - they saw them as competitors.
    Rizon CEO
    Jason
    Jason@Rizon.net

I actually knew this one. The prohibition of marijuana is mostly associated with Harry Anslinger, the first director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. Critics believe he helped Secretary of Treasury Andrew Mellon (who also happened to be Anslinger's wife's uncle), DuPont, and Hearst, three of America's richest businessmen, play on Americans' racism and fear of communism to eliminate hemp-based products. I'm a huge economics geek, so this sort of stuff really interests me... sorry if I'm boring someone to death here.

Anslinger is also notable for ridiculous quotes such as "Marijuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing", "You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother", "Reefer makes African-Americans think they're as good as white men", and the crazy list goes on.

And while we're on the topic, I have a random useless fact that's somewhat related:

The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp-based paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokizzzle View Post
    I actually knew this one. The prohibition of marijuana is mostly associated with Harry Anslinger, the first director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. Critics believe he helped Secretary of Treasury Andrew Mellon (who also happened to be Anslinger's wife's uncle), DuPont, and Hearst, three of America's richest businessmen, play on Americans' racism and fear of communism to eliminate hemp-based products. I'm a huge economics geek, so this sort of stuff really interests me... sorry if I'm boring someone to death here.

Anslinger is also notable for ridiculous quotes such as "Marijuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing", "You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother", "Reefer makes African-Americans think they're as good as white men", and the crazy list goes on.

And while we're on the topic, I have a random useless fact that's somewhat related:

And there goes my being blissfully unaware, right out the window!

Seriously, it was good reading though! Thanks!

You know I wouldn't have mind being around back then could have easily became a billionaire. Create some stupid product and advertise that if you don't own this you're a communist. Every American would have been dumb enough to buy it.
    Rizon CEO
    Jason
    Jason@Rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by Kokizzzle View Post

Actually interesting. And no this stuff isn't boring Kokizzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    You know I wouldn't have mind being around back then could have easily became a billionaire. Create some stupid product and advertise that if you don't own this you're a communist. Every American would have been dumb enough to buy it.
    Not every american would be dumb enough.
    yourname / blake
    |IRC Operator - Server Admin|
    |Services Staff|
    |
    Help Team|
    |Kline Team|
    |
    vHost Team Lead|

blake@rizon.net

Back then just about every American sadly.
    Rizon CEO
    Jason
    Jason@Rizon.net

Back then just about every American sadly.
    I wouldn't have just for the sake of not doing so.
    yourname / blake
    |Services Staff|
    |
    Help Team|
    |Kline Team|
    |
    vHost Team Lead|

blake@rizon.net

And they would have called you a communist.
    Rizon CEO
    Jason
    Jason@Rizon.net

And they would have called you a communist.
    True, then I would have probably ended up "missing"
    yourname / blake
    |Services Staff|
    |
    Help Team|
    |Kline Team|
    |
    vHost Team Lead|

blake@rizon.net