Thread: Registered nicks not renaming unidentified people

Default Registered nicks not renaming unidentified people

I'm not sure there's a thread already for this, or if I'm even in the right place, but:

lately I've noticed something, the nick registering system ain't kicking people off registered nicks. For example, in the channel that I go to, someone impersonated someone else after taking their nick. I little later on, the real user of that nick came on to see that someone used his nick. He DID register for the nick, and the impersonator didn't have his name changed to the generic guest543278 that it usually does.

Now before you dismiss this as him messing with us, I've seen this firsthand. My nick is registered, and I've noticed that I'd fire up IRC and forgot to identify for my nick, but I won't notice this until an hour later when it should have renamed me after a minute of not identifying for my nick.

Though I suspect it may be a bug, since I tried switching to an old nick that's been registered for a long time now (that I wanted to use originally) and it renamed me, yet the nick I use I had to re-register late last year, and it doesn't rename me if I don't identify (I tried this right before posting this) so I'm thinking that if the nick is registered after a certain date, it doesn't kick the user off the nick. It did do it before when I originally registered the nick something like 2 years ago (I had to re register because of inactivity).

Also when changing to the old registered nick, nickserv says:
    NickServ: This nick is owned by someone else. Please choose another.
    NickServ: (If this is your nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password.)
    NickServ: If you do not change within 20 seconds, I will change your nick.
    And then it changes my nick, like it says it will

But when I change it to my registered nick, it says:
    NickServ: This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your
    NickServ: nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise,
    NickServ: please choose a different nick.
    And it just lets me go, even though I haven't identified, which defeats the purpose of registering your nick to protect it.

Would you be able to fix this?

This simply means the kill setting is not enabled, as it is off by default (and always has been).
    See /msg nickserv help set kill
    Gemini
    Rizon Help Team - vHost Team - kline Team
    Gemini@rizon.net

oh...

i did not know that....

i feel like an idiot now

but thanks. i didn't know that there was all these options you could set