Thread: [Help]Constant Bans Using IRCCloud[Botnets]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [Help]Constant Bans Using IRCCloud[Botnets]

I've been using Rizon for almost three years now and lately I switched clients.
    IRCCloud is in beta and it's free, it stores your chat history even when you aren't logged into the website, which is a really cool feature.
    At first I was confused as to why I kept getting banned randomly after many pleasant hours of idling.

I know the IRCCloud devs have a ton of troubleshooting on their end but it seems like it's a problem with the way Rizon interacts with the service.
    For some reason entirely beyond me I get stuck in #dontjoinitsatrap inevitably after connect, and everyone I invited to the service has the same problem.

I've already appealed my ban (not that I think it'll do me too much good), I would just merely like to report the problem in the hopes that at some point the bugs are cleared up.

Like I said IRCCloud is a really wonderful service, and Rizon is my hood.
    I would hate to have to switch clients, can't you all just play nice??

Yep, I'm also an IRCCloud user, and I can corroborate this. Generally, whatever happens to one IRCCloud user happens to all of us since we're all sharing whatever IP Addresses and whatnot that IRCCloud is using. I filed Ticket #1002 earlier today, and I've filed at least one other regarding the same issue in the past.

Can you tweak your regex shit to make an exception for whatever pattern we're matching such that it makes exceptions if we connect through the IRCCloud IPs, or some other solution of the sort? I'm sure you enjoy reading my tickets as much as I enjoy writing them (not a lot), so let's find a way to end these bitchy forum posts and support tickets.

Thanks,
    The Jews

Hi. Rizon has actually contacted IRCCloud in the past to get something setup where every user doesn't share the same IP (we can't do it alone), but they were not interested, so it didn't happen.

Regarding issues with #dontjoinitsatrap, those will go away soon enough, as we are currently rewriting some code. (But it may take awhile.)
    Darius

I apologize for the idiocy of my first post, it's pretty clear whoever's doing it is exploiting IRCCloud's code, not Rizons.

Still, I know (from their twitter, plz excuse the faggotry) they've been talking to people at other networks about similar type problems!

I know it must seem like pointless complaining, especially since they're either too busy or just unwilling to deal with specific issues with your network. But it would be a shame if nothing could get resolved out of just plain spite.

Hi I'm one of the two IRCCloud admins. I can assure you it's not due to spite. Due to the way our system works right now we can't give each user a separate IP or pass along a usable IP for them because we work as a bouncer service, so they're not always guaranteed to have an IP address.

We may in future just pass along the IP they held when they first connected, or maybe something involving IPv6 through the WEBIRC/cgiirc protocol, but it's worth noting that this would ultimately be a less effective way of uniquely identifying a user than the ident verified usernames we currently use which aren't changeable by users. We aim to keep our users connected to IRC even when they're offline and switch IPs.

Anyway, just to clarify that we very much would like to cooperate on this matter, and have spoken at length with Rizon admins in the past to figure out what we can do, but due to our current priorities and Rizon policy, there's no quick solution just yet.

Regards,
    James Wheare

james@irccloud.com
    http://irccloud.com
    Last edited by jwheare; 10-20-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: clarification

Rizon Staff

James,
    Feel free to get in touch with me on IRC. I would be happy to help you make Webirc/CGI work with Rizon and IRCCloud. This would allow you to function like our qchat and like Mibbit have been doing for 3 years+.

Thanks
    Grimlock
    Services Root Administrator
    Server Admin - backup.hub
    Server Admin - bastard.hub
    Server Admin - fiendish.hub
    Server Admin - sleepy.hub
    Server Admin - irc.cccp-project.net
    Server Admin - irc.broke-it.com
    Server Admin - irc.cyberdynesystems.net
    Server Admin - irc.shakeababy.net
    Executive Board