3 25.00%
  • What is fanfiction?/I don't care/other choice not listed

2 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rizon's potential fanfiction project

Cool Rizon's potential fanfiction project

Hello everyone.

Thank you for your input.

It appears that while there were a few interested people, most people felt that it didn't mesh with Rizon. Accordingly, we will not be doing this as a Rizon project.

That said, if you are a developer and still interested, please message culex and/or join #freethestories

Original post:

Hello everyone,

We at Rizon are considering branching out a bit; potentially creating and hosting a fanfiction hosting service.

Given recent events at fanfiction.net in regards to content censorship and stories disappearing without notice, the idea appeared that we could potentially offer something of value to those interested in fanfiction: the ability to create stories with any content, and with no worrying that stories may disappear at any time in the future. As those of you who use the Rizon IRC network may (should) know, we are against any form of censorship.

If Rizon had given up when we were attacked over taking in the anime and manga channels back when mIRC-X and Aniverse collapsed, we wouldn't be here today. In the same vein, we certainly won't give into anything related to fanfiction content, so this would be a permanent addition to Rizon's services.

The one thing that we don't really have extra of is web developers. Everything but web development is already covered.

So basically, this post is to get feedback from the Rizon users on this potential project, and to see if there are any web developers who have the time/interest to work on a project like this.

Our fanfiction site would probably be laid out similar to how fanfiction.net is, although with improvements where we see them fit. We are fans of the simple, clean "googlish" layout, and a simple and clean format fits us best.

Obviously, this thread is to get initial impressions from our users on this project, nothing more.

If we do move forward with this project, we will then go into more depth on what features people think should be included/excluded, and the like.

Those registered on the forums can answer the poll up above, and post responses to this thread.

Those too lazy to register for and/or use the forums can join #freethestories and talk about it there.

Just a quick note about the development positions:

Web developers would work in an team overseen by upper Rizon staffers. The entire project would be reviewed. Developers would be expected to work quickly, document designs and designed processes, file and respond to bug reports in a timely manner. Most importantly, developers must follow web design best practices, use accepted standards and be willing to conform to Rizon standard technologies. This means no ASPX, CF, JSP, Shockwave or Quicktime.

As the project develops, we may also be looking for interested authors/readers who would also be interested in moderating the site. So for those of you who can't code, we may have plenty of opportunities for you to contribute! (Aside from writing stories, of course)
    Last edited by jackfrost; 06-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.
    frosty jack, Rizon EB

Talking

I am a pretty experienced web developer (been lead dev for multiple startups) and would love to help out with this. Message me on IRC (or whatever method is preferred).

Nao.

I can see it now; Rizon becomes known as the "pervert network."
    And the Lord said unto John; Come forth and receive eternal life. But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    I can see it now; Rizon becomes known as the "pervert network."
    too late
    g0t b33r?

OH GOD NO I see this ending very badly

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd3r View Post
    too late
    Fine: I can see it now; Rizon becomes more known as the "pervert network."
    Last edited by Jan; 06-11-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: dongs
    And the Lord said unto John; Come forth and receive eternal life. But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

I both read and write fanfiction, and I can't really see this ending well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peorth View Post
    I both read and write fanfiction, and I can't really see this ending well at all.
    Care to explain why you think so?

I don't read fanfiction, but would be interested... I just finished a refresher class a couple semesters ago on HTML/CSS and am taking a JavaScript refresher class this semester... Count me in, I would love to help out in my limited free time...

I think Rizon should stick to Rizon.
    That is, it's an IRC network, it should focus on IRC, and (preferably) not get involved with other things.
    Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stopped, the story will not end.

Whether it's a comedy or a tragedy, if there is cheering, the story will continue on.
    Just like the many lives.
    For the us who are still in it and still in the journey, send warm blessings.

---We will continue to walk down this path until eternity.