Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rizon Features Expansion Discussion

Not entirely, it must also use SJOIN to introduce those clients to channels during a netburst, but that isn't all that burdensome.

The biggest issue is that BotServ requires channel traffic to go through services, for little gain IMO. This wouldn't change if we were to incorporate BotServ features, such as badword lists, into ChanServ. However, it would be one service, making it more practical from both a development and end-user standpoint.

Services act as server and as such they get channel traffic anyways, it just depends what they do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    Services act as server and as such they get channel traffic anyways, it just depends what they do with it
    Not necessarily.

Services would not receive channel traffic (e.g. messages) if it did not hold clients in those channels. Of course, since it is linked as a server, it would still receive JOINs and TMODEs, which is why it's not necessary for ChanServ to be in channels, as I'm sure you're aware.

That is the real "overhead" BotServ introduces compared to ChanServ, which is what I was getting at, though I don't see it as a huge issue, as it would remain if ChanServ were to integrate some of the functionality BotServ currently provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Miichiio View Post
    I understand your point and I do agree with your conclusion. Truthfully I was already fully aware that an implementation such as I have suggested would have the ramifications you alluded to. However I am an advocate of customization and I am still of the belief that such a feature would be a great addition for BotServ; concurrently the process as I have defined may not be the optimum method for this idea as you have shown. With regards to this matter I will continue to think of ways to reinvent this idea.

With regards to the complete abandonment of BotServ however, I cannot be in total agreement with that conclusion. Simply BotServ still holds or carries with it a certain level of necessity and functionality currently not provided by ChanServ (such as flood control; kicks for excessive repeats, bolds etc.). If users are aware of this and if they are utilizing this functionality is a different matter.
    What I can agree on, is if all BotServ's functionality is integrated within ChanServ (including flood control etc.) that would increase ChanServ's functionality and flexibility exponentially, whilst reducing the overhead costs associated with the separate BotServ.

------------------

Miikaii <--> Miichiio
    #infaxel.net@irc.rizon.net
    "Hoping business class features can be given to coach. Enjoy flying Rizon."
    to clarify all of botserv's functionality would be transferred to chanserv of course.
    Regards, NiTeMaRe - nitemare@rizon.net

Esteemed representative of semi-aquatic and carnivorous mammals (Mink):

I am extremely distraught by your consideration of terminating the BotServ services. Should these reveries materialize, my beloved FaceBot [^_^] will be forever silenced, leaving me with a single faithful cohort (Abba-Zaba, in case you were wondering) to brave the perilous nodes which fabricate the Rizon Chat Network. I am, however, willing to oblige your merciful regard: A package containing a delicious imported panettone and several autographed 4x6 portraits of myself will soon arrive at your place of residence. Similar arrangements may continue to exist over the years should you find it to your amusement. I hope this short message and gesture of kindness will find a place in your heart and mind this holiday season.

Amicalement.

Kiwiclx, Rizon's resident fruitbirdthing and former Rizon staff overseeing the splittiest of hubs