Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rizon Quotes

Being able to set so that users with access lower than @ can't add quotes.
    chaos.hub
    Server Administrator
    Services Administrator

Holz that is an idea we have/are considering.

Killah I can assure you that idea won't be added. If a room can't trust the users for quotes they can create a staff room to do quotes in.
    Rizon CEO
    Jason
    Jason@Rizon.net

Instead of op, I actually do think adding quote should be (allowed to be) restricted to voice and above. First reason: unless the channel is not open to public (i.e. +k, restricted access, etc), troublemakers are bounded to appear, more or less. With the quote bot there, the easiest way to cause troubles is to add a bunch of meaningless quotes. Unless there's constantly a channel op/halfop standing by, by the time it's attended to, a great deal of "damage" would have been done already. It's usually public channels having a lot of conversation going on that would result in a decent amount of quotes, and the ironic thing is, those channels are the one that attract troublemakers. Taking the quote bot away because of that and putting it in some private channels instead kind of defeats the purpose, since others won't be able to see the quotes, and that's providing "staff members" are always around or check logs to add quotes.

Second reason: having that option will give voiced users on Rizon an universal meaning/privilege. Right now having a voice in over 99% of the channels with 10 users or more serve no purpose other than having a + sign next to their nicks. If only voice or above can add quotes, channel moderators will actually think about giving out voices to their users with a reason, other than current situation of randomly giving it out that does not really matter. Please consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
    Instead of op, I actually do think adding quote should be (allowed to be) restricted to voice and above. First reason: unless the channel is not open to public (i.e. +k, restricted access, etc), troublemakers are bounded to appear, more or less. With the quote bot there, the easiest way to cause troubles is to add a bunch of meaningless quotes. Unless there's constantly a channel op/halfop standing by, by the time it's attended to, a great deal of "damage" would have been done already. It's usually public channels having a lot of conversation going on that would result in a decent amount of quotes, and the ironic thing is, those channels are the one that attract troublemakers. Taking the quote bot away because of that and putting it in some private channels instead kind of defeats the purpose, since others won't be able to see the quotes, and that's providing "staff members" are always around or check logs to add quotes.

Second reason: having that option will give voiced users on Rizon an universal meaning/privilege. Right now having a voice in over 99% of the channels with 10 users or more serve no purpose other than having a + sign next to their nicks. If only voice or above can add quotes, channel moderators will actually think about giving out voices to their users with a reason, other than current situation of randomly giving it out that does not really matter. Please consider it.
    Thumbs up, I agree and support this suggestions. (

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Thumbs up, I agree and support this suggestions. (
    So do I. Nice ideas indeed.

Florian
    Everything is possible - you just need to know how.
    www.the-compiler.org

Only voices+ can add quotes now. We added this last night and are still letting it be tested. Not had anyone post so guessing no one has noticed yet.
    Rizon CEO
    Jason
    Jason@Rizon.net

Any chance to ban someone from the trivia?
    I mean, channel wise. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Nessun View Post
    Only voices+ can add quotes now. We added this last night and are still letting it be tested. Not had anyone post so guessing no one has noticed yet.
    Actually dizzy and I had a conversation while he was testing and debugging it, but after that I didn't really have the chance to follow up on the progress since I was swamped with work for the past few days. I suppose everything has been stablized now. Thank you guys for making it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Any chance to ban someone from the trivia?
    I mean, channel wise. =/
    Speaking of trivia, I'm thinking the same rule (i.e. voice+ only) may possibly be applied to ".strivia"? Same reason as ".quote add" to prevent troublemakers from interrupting the game purposefully.

Sometimes, a person wants to read and search quotes without spamming them to the channel.

Would it be possible to allow people to /msg Quotes .quotes read/search/random and get replies in /msg form?

I've seen a great quote bot on some else network (the network itself was overall definitely worse than this one, but this was really interesting).

It was like, that Quote bot was integrated into the main /bs bot, which serves in the channel as re-opper (etc.. as we all know /bs assign). It was just matter of /bs set , to set, if he will accept (and return) quotes or not (so It wasn't forced).

You just wrote on the channel:
    !learn game1 www.game12123.com (fictive adress).
    Then, if you wanted the quote back, you wrote:
    ? game1
    and the bot returned:
    <Bot> game1 : www.game12123.com
    or if it wasn't found:
    <Bot> game1 is not defined
    or if you wanted to see who'd created the definition:
    ?? game1
    <Bot> game1 : www.game12123.com
    <Bot> defined by Godmy [2010-05-22] [1 hits]

- if you wanted to list quotes, you did
    !last [number] <- number, how many last viewed quotes should be listed (and if the number was too excesive, then there was a web acces locked by custom password, on unlocked).
    Also commands as: !forgot definiton or !append definiton [what to append]
    - also command: !stats - for the number of definitions/quotes made.

I think it was called zbot: http://www.hawkee.com/snippet/3380/
    But it was integrated into the network services (in the botserv).

Why I think it might be better than current solution ?
    1) You have one virtual user less on the channel, so the number of real living people on channel is closer to the reality
    2) It spams the channel less. (usually just one line returned)
    3) All people have better memory for names than numbers. So you remebred than on ? game1 is a link on a very cool game and on ? game2 is a link for another very cool game etc... Or that under ? Godmy is definition/quote which is assigned to the user Godmy etc.. (users always love their own definitions in the channel bot )

P.S.: ~ops, &ops and @ops could use !learn, but just ~ops and &ops could use the other (for assign and delete). Worked great. The option for reading "? name-of-the-definition" was available for all users on the channel.

So that was just some proposal Thanks for the reading.